- bulbs are edible raw.
- bulbs are best after long slow cooking, which turns them chocolate brown.
- bulbs can be dried for storage after cooking.
- dried bulbs are soaked and then boiled or steamed.
- leaves are edible raw.
- fresh greed seed pods can be cooked, taste like string beans.
- grows in moist areas with rich soil in montane, subalpine, and alpine regions.
- warning: bulbs can cause burning sensation, too many can cause vomiting.
- warning: do not confuse with poisonous members of the lily family.