- edible when cooked, boil for at least 5 minutes.
- use them whole after evisceration (cut upen to remove guts) or remove the five muscular strips that run the length of its body and cook the strips. Boiling the sea cucumber may help remove musclular strips.
- the five white long muscles can be dried and smoked.
- look for sea cucumbers under rocks at low tide.
- varieties in the Pacific Northwest are Red sea cucumber (Cucumaria miniata)
and California sea cucumber (Parastichopus californicus).
- warning: sea cucumbers might contain toxins during the red tide, check the red tide status with your local goverment fishery.