- berries contain seeds dense in nutrients.
- raw berries tend to be tart.
- berries contain high levels of pectin, which benefits making jams.
- plant is a small shrub growing 1-2 m tall.
- leaves and stem have strong fragrance.
- varieties in the Pacific Northwest include Northern black currant (Ribes hudsonianum), Stink currant (Ribes bracteosum) and Prickly currant (Ribes lacustre).
- grows in moist foothill and montane woods.
- warning: Northern black currants may cause diarrhea and stomach upset if eaten in quantity.